Haley Schmidt is no stranger to video games. As a life-long gamer, TheHaleyBaby is best known in the Call of Duty scene, and has a loyal following of fans who tune into watch her stream on Twich on a regular basis. Interactive, lively, & genuinely kind, Haley continually reinvents herself, and what it means to livestream in an ever-evolving gaming landscape.
1. Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Haley Schmidt and I’m a proud Twitch partner.
2. Where are you from?
I’m from the big old state itself: Texas.
3. What were you like as a kid?
As a kid I was actually super shy, quite, and insecure. Around my friends however I was loud, playful and a little goofy.
4. What did you like about school? What did you hate?
One of the best things about school that I always enjoyed was people watching. I know it sounds weird but watching how my peers interacted with others was so fascinating to me, I have no idea why, lol! What I hated about school was testing. No matter how hard I studied, I always seemed to blank and not remember anything I learned!
5. What did you like to do as a kid?
As a kid I was a very active little girl. For 11 years, I played softball with the same group of girls, and our team was called The Apaches. My dad was actually the main coach all through those years. After softball I would go home and play video games. If I was not doing one of those two things then I would be eating crawfish at my friend’s house.
6. Tell us about the first time you played a video game.
The first time I played a video game was my 5th Christmas. My dad got me and my sister a Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64 and I was hooked! The games started to pile up and that’s where it all started.
7. If you could go back in time and give yourself a piece of advice, what would it be?
To be honest, I wouldn’t travel back in time. The good/horrible things that have happen to me are what got me to where I am at and I’m very proud of that.
8. What was it about gaming that made it a viable career for you?
Growing up I always had a passion for video games. I wanted to design games as a little kid but that quickly ended as soon as I found out I had no creative bone in my body, lol! The one thing I did have was a personality and soon I found Twitch. Put the pieces together and boom, TheHaleyBaby was born.
9. How did you get started?
From 2008-2011 I competed in Halo and Call of Duty and the group of guys in my home town always told me I couldn’t make a career out of it. I wanted to prove them wrong. Here we are couple years later and I’m a pretty successful Partnered Twitch Streamer.
10. What game did you play the most of in the beginning?
The games I started were Super Mario 64, Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold and Crystal, DonkeyKong64, Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda, Mario Kart, and pretty much any Nintendo game.
11. What do you do in your spare time, outside of gaming?
Outside of my gaming life, I’m kinda just an average person. Even though I’m not SUPER creative, I love to paint. Painting is very peaceful and it eases my mind. Golfing is something else I really enjoy. A lot of people didn’t know I golf but I picked it up my junior year of High School and fell in love with it. The most enjoyable thing I do is be around my nephew, Julian. He’s probably the funniest little thing on this planet and spending time with him is the brightest part of my life.
12. What is a quality you admire in people?
The biggest quality I admire about people is respect. Sadly in the gaming community you see disrespect everywhere and when you actually meet someone who respects you and respect others, it’s nice to see.
13. What is one quality you dislike?
The one thing I dislike about people is dishonesty. I was raised to always tell the truth and seeing people lie about whatever, is just really saddening to me.
14. Generic music/movies/books/food question. Ready GO!
I’m not really picky with music. Anything I can dance too, I’m all for!!! I’m a horror junkie and hopeless romantic so horror and chick flicks. Best combo lol! I’m not really a reader… I try but I fall asleep LOL. Food question, mhmm…. I love food so anything that is food I’ll eat. Not picky!
15. If you could give one piece of advice to people looking to do what you do, what would it be?
I get this question a lot and I tell them these few things.
1. Always be yourself. I can’t stress how important that is. I have seen streamers be COMPLETELY different than how they really are and it’s really sad.
2. Do not give up. The beginning is always the hardest but if you can keep grinding and push through it, you will grow.
3. Play with other streamers. Now I’m not saying play with BIG streamers but play with other streamers who are your size or even a little better.
16. What are you terrible at?
Honestly, I’m terrible at fighting games and puzzle games. Puzzles just hurt my head and fighting games is just so complicating with all the different moves, lol.
17. What are you badass at?
The games that I personally think I’m a badass in is any first person shooters and racing games. I have had SOOOO many people take me on and they all got owned!
18. What games are you playing? What are you looking forward to?
The games I am playing as of now are Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, Speed Runners, Halo 5, Battlefront and Tomb Raider. The games I’m looking forward to are BattleBorn, Overwatch, and Kingdom Hearts (but we all know with KH we gotta wait another 10 years, am I right? lol)
19. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
Sadly I do not see myself as a Twitch streamer all my life. Between 5-10 years I do hope I can land a job as a Community Representative at a gaming organization such as Bungie, 2k, etc.
20. What do you want for the games industry? Where do you see it going?
What I want from the games industry is for people to be more educated on how big it is getting. There’s so many ignorant people who say what we do is not a job or playing games will get you nowhere, and as we know that isn’t true. Gaming is going to be HUGE! It’s just going to start growing and growing.
Sincerely, Haley <3